Why our Adventure is Special...and Why You Should Choose Us!
January 10, 2023
There are plenty of tour operators to choose from in the Naples and Marco Island area. With the beauty that southwest Florida has to offer, your options are endless. You can see the area by boat, bike, Segway, foot, trolley and more. So why choose us?
First and foremost, we are the only tour in the area that focuses on and sees manatees year around. If your main desire is to get up close to these gentle sea cows, we are the excursion for you.
But for many travelers, they are looking for a more broad experience. Whether it's the wildlife or ecology you are into, there are plenty of options that provide experiences for both. However, based on what you want to see, how close you want to get, and the atmosphere you want to experience it in will determine which provider you go with.
So here is a short list of what you may see when you choose us:
4. Bull Shark
6. Sea turtles
Where you will see it:
1. Everglades National Park
2. Amongst the mangroves
3. Port of the Island's Harbor/Canals
3. Ten Thousand Islands (Beach Eco and Sunset tour only)
4. Whitehorse Key (Beach Eco and Sunset tour only)
Here is the atmosphere in which you will experience this wildlife and ecosystem:
1. On a covered boat.
2. Deck boat similar to a pontoon which means comfortable seating and space to move around.
3. No waves or loud noises- which means no chance of getting sea sick and all ages are welcome! (unlike airboats).
4. Max 6 passengers per boat (multiple boats for large groups) - this allows for a semi private experience (option to make it private) as well as the chance to get as close to the wildlife as possible. There are only 3 ways to safely view a manatee: by land, with a paddle, and with an electric trolling motor. Our 22 foot boats can be operated with these trolling motors which allow us to get the manatees right up to the boat. You won't find a larger boat or another tour company that can get as close as we do! Because of this, we can only take 6 passengers per boat but take multiple boats out and keep them close together for parties larger than 6.
5. With a USCG certified captain that will teach you about the local wildlife and ecosystem.
6. With your choice of beverage in hand-all food and drink including alcohol is permitted!
7. With polarized sunglasses and camera lenses for your phones to take awesome pictures!
So while we know there are a lot of great tour options out there, there aren't any other ones that focus on seeing manatees and that can get up close and personal with the manatees. Additionally, there are very few that take all ages and can guarantee no waves or loud noises suitable for your infant child and your great grandma! (We are even ADA accessible and dog friendly!)
We hope this helps in deciding if our adventure is right for you and your family. And at the end of the day we want you to have the best vacation experience as possible! Whoever you choose to go with, we know you will have fun in the sun in our beautiful southwest Florida!
When is the Best Time to See Manatees?
December 7, 2022
One of our most common questions is, "When is the best time to see the manatees?" While this answer varies based on the day, we will explain how we come up with an answer so that you can informatively choose your adventure!
First and foremost, we are the only company in the world that sees manatees year around in the wild! Why is this? Our tours take place 6.5 miles up river from the Gulf of Mexico in the Faka Union Canal. The Fakahatchee fresh water river empties out over a dam into the Faka Union Canal. This makes our water in the Port of the Island's brackish. This fresh drinking water attracts the manatees year around! They cannot survive without fresh water to drink.
Another reason they take haven in our canal is for the warmth. The bottom of the Faka Union Canal is muddy vs. sandy like the Gulf of Mexico. A muddy bottom holds heat better than a sandy bottom. Because of this, they seek the warmer water between November-April. Fun fact: manatees cannot survive in water below 68 degrees Fahrenheit!
So, we have two factors on our side that produce manatee sightings year around: fresh water and warmer temperatures!
Now, based on seasons, the rumor is true that manatees are more abundant in the winter months. Most places, you will only be able to see the manatees for a few months when the water temperature dips. What this means for us is that we just see an influx of the number of manatees. No matter what time of year you come, our success rate of seeing manatees is over 90%. But if you are here in the winter months, you will see a higher number of manatees.
Many people call to inquire about what time is best to see manatees on a particular day. There are two factors in play here: daylight, and the tides. The best viewing happens when the sun is the highest which typically tends to fall during our 10 am, 11:30 am and 1 pm tours. Manatees are also more easily seen 2 hours before and 2 hours after the peak of an incoming tide. They float in with the tide to conserve energy...talk about working smarter not harder! So, we recommend checking for the incoming tide on the day of your desired trip, and then comparing it with the daylight to choose the best tour for you.
We hope this information helps in deciding which time to choose for your manatee sightseeing adventure. Regardless of what you choose, remember, our success rate is over 90% and we will try our hardest to get you up close to manatees, alligators, birds and bull shark! While wildlife is unpredictable and cannot be guaranteed, we promise that if you do not see a manatee on your adventure, you get to come back for free.
So go ahead and book your manatee adventure for an experience you'll only find here in the beautiful Everglades of Naples, Florida!